Franklin-Simpson Lady Cats and Wildcats soccer teams hosted the Lady Cats' Invitational and the Wildcat Cup last Saturday at the F-S Soccer and Softball Complex.

In the Lady Cats' Invitational, due to an injury that pulled the Clinton County Lady Bulldogs out of the Lady Cat Invitational, the Franklin-Simpson Lady Cats team was only able to play one game in their tournament.

Franklin-Simpson played the Todd County Central Lady Rebels, who is in their district, at the tournament, which was a non-district match. Like usual, the game was highly contested, as both teams are familiar with one another. The Lady Cats fell 4-3 to the Lady Rebels.

Junior Kate Norwood scored two goals, one in each half, with an assist to senior Mackenzie Reece, who also scored a goal. Franklin-Simpson had 13 shots on goal by seven different players and five shots on goal saved by junior Lexi Phillips.

"Our girls fought hard and controlled possessions more than not. More emphasis needs to be put on finishing to start getting better results," Lady Cats head coach Dennis Anderson said. "Defensively, all our players showed better results by preventing more shots and more goals. There were several times that teamwork showed excellent results moving the ball into position. I am proud of the progress but our focus needs to be on continuing to improve finishing for scores."

In the Wildcat Cup, the Wildcats lost 7-1 to the Fort Campbell Falcons in their first game on Saturday. With an assist from sophomore Preston Jenkins, sophomore Ben Banton scored the first goal of the game at the 18-minute mark. From there, Fort Campbell scored seven straight seven straight goals with senior Jhony Paniagia-Solis scoring four goals.

"Both teams played very evenly during the first half, with both teams having several opportunities in front of goal. We seemed to control most of the first half and were unlucky to be down at halftime," Wildcats head coach Justin Dyer said. "During the second half, we was pushing forward more to get an equalizer and then to get back into the game after conceding the third goal. Fort Campbell banged in three quick goals to blow the game wide open."

In their second game of the Wildcat Cup, the Wildcats lost 6-1 to the Glasgow Scotties.

The Scotties led 4-0 but at the 61-minute mark, senior Johnny Martin scored on a "screamer" kick with an assist from Banton for their only goal of the game. The Scotties added two more goals, led with a hat trick from sophomore Jackson Bower for the victory.

"Glasgow started the game with more energy, popping in three goals in the first 16 minutes. The rest of the first half was pretty even between the two teams, both teams had dangerous chances but nothing to show for it," Dyer said. "Second half started with us on the front foot, getting in better positions and looking more likely to score."

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.